Michelle was born in Rotorua, New Zealand spent her childhood and teenage years in Taupo. Her interest in art and colour showed itself from her earliest years, where, as a child much time was taken in illustrating her own children's books and passing time playing around with paint samples in the paint shop where her father worked. She remembers how they used to 'pop' off the concrete floor and how they used to complement each other when she cut them out with her safety scissors and lay them side by side creating different harmonies of colour. Michelle's passion for art, colour and design continued through her childhood and teenage years. She travelled to London where she travelled and worked in various fields for two years then on her return to Australasia settled in Sydney.
In 2003 Michelle secured a place at Enmore Design Centre in Sydney’s Inner west where she completed an Advanced Diploma of Interior Design following obtaining Certificate 3 in Colour and Design and the Australian School of Colour and Design in the Rocks, Sydney. During this time Michelle worked a personal assistant to the Design Director of the Hilton Fiji and followed by a full time position in a small Sydney Interior Design company specialising in hospitality design and commercial office fit out projects.
After her studies Michelle continued to contract as an Interior Designer and occasionally dabbled in Graphic Design. After taking numerous TAFE, community college and private art school courses, Michelle came to the realisation that nothing else mattered to her career wise but her art. Therefore, she took the leap of faith and made the decision to follow her instinct and begin her journey to (in-time!) become a full time artist.
On returning to New Zealand in 2011 Michelle has participated in several group exhibitions and is holding a solo exhibition in Sydney October 2013 followed by a solo exhibition at the Taupo Museum Art Gallery in December 2013. She also held a SOLO panel at the New Zealand art show July 2013, followed by a Single Artist Wall in the 2014 Show.
Her work, which she describes as stylistic expression, is colour saturated and consists of a geometric multiplicity of layers from heavily loaded or dripping paintbrushes. She often celebrates how a painting may change by mistake such as an accidental spillage of your water jar on your canvas. It's the unknown and unexpected which turns the corner of the painting making it work in it’s own way. The trust is there that the artist’s instinct will always pull through and take control.
Great artists such as Warhol, Kandinsky, Klee, Australia’s Brett Whitely, Ken Done aboriginal artist, Kngwarreye and New Zealand’s Dick Frizzell inspire Michelle
• 2010 FWD Sydney – Charity Exhibition for Westmead Children’s Hospital
• 2011 - 2012 Art on the Park – Taupo, NZ
• 2012 ‘Big Day Art’ – Taupo, NZ
• 2012 The Original Art Show, Telstra Clear Events Ctr, Auckland, NZ
• 2012 Manuatu Art Expo, Palmerston Nth, NZ
• 2012 Hilton Lake Taupo, Original Art Expo
• 2012 Taupo Museum Art Gallery, Embracing Diversity Exhibition, NZ
• 2013 3Wai Exhibition with Nancy Tschetner & Sally-Ann Davies, Red Rock Gallery, Taupo NZ
• 2013 SOLO panel artist, NZ Art Show, Wellington New Zealand
• 2013 No. 5 Gallery, Group Exhibition, Lyall Bay, Wellington New Zealand
• 2013 Hilton Lake Taupo, Original Art Expo, Taupo, New Zealand
• 2013 Treasured Art Auction & Sale for Lake Taupo Hospice, Taupo New Zealand
• 2013 Solo Exhibition, ‘Bright City’ Dank St Depot Complex, Waterloo, Sydney, Australia
• 2013 ‘Comfort Zone’ - Solo Exhibition – Taupo Museum Art Gallery, New Zealand
• 2014 ‘Rhythm & Blues’ – Exhibition with Sally-Ann Davies – ArtsPost, Hamilton, New Zealand
• 2015 SAW artist, NZ Art Show, Wellington New Zealand
• 2017 Front cover artist on The NZ Contemporary Artist Calendar for 2018